At each age and stage there are so many helpful products that get me through the day. I am forever wondering how our parents (or our parents’ parents) were able to survive without these. Between the teething and walking, playing and talking, I’ve come up with my current favorites that I use daily with my “baby” (he’s almost 1, who am I kidding?) and my toddler (2).
- Mesh Food Feeder – Frankie will be 1 at the end of this month but currently only has 2.5 teeth. I say that because he is currently teething with his top two and one of them is about half way through his gums. I don’t know what I would do without these mesh teething toys. You can fill it with fruit or veggies, although Frankie is more of a fruit-guy, and they will chew and snack on it to sooth their teeth without having to worry about them swallowing or choking on a giant piece of food.
- Pack ‘n Play – This one is probably a given to most, and many people I’m sure used this if they had their baby in their room with them, but I am currently loving using his pack ‘n play as a play-pen. Unless he’s in his high chair, this is the only way that I’m able to get anything done around the house! Thank the heavens for whoever invented baby gates & play pens!
- Stackable Cups – Frankie loves his cups! More than actually stacking them, he loves to put a small object in them, like one of his blocks, and shake it until the toy comes up. He thinks it’s the funniest thing in the world! We spend a good 15 minutes one day doing this over and over again. And if you’ve ever had a kid, you know being able to sit and do the same thing for more than 1 minutes is an accomplishment sometimes.
- Walker – Isabelle and Frankie have both used the same walker and love it. This one is great because it has an activity on the front so you can use it while they are sitting as well. Any product that has more than on purpose is a great product in my book.
- Saucer – Our cousin is letting us use this saucer temporarily until they have their next child and I am so grateful. We have made it through many dinners, loads of laundry, and showers by being able to pop the kids into the saucer and let them entertain themselves. It’s a life saver! It’s not heavy so you can easily move it into your bedroom or bathroom while you get ready. A++!
- Activity Cube – We were gifted one by a friend and this is another product I am so thankful to have. Isabelle still likes to play with it every so often to show me what the colors are, but Frankie is having a blast walking around it and moving the colors from one side to another.
- Books – we have been doing our best to get Isabelle to read books before bed, and now she’ll even reach for them during the day too. She loves to point out all the pictures and tell her own story with them. THIS is my favorite book right now. My sister’s boyfriend’s family gave it to Isabelle when she was a baby. They lived in the same neighborhood as the author and her family. I think I love this book even more than Isabelle does. It goes through different emotions which are illustrated on each page – and now Isabelle can tell me if she is “HAPPY!” or “sad.”
- Kinetic Sand – To be honest, I have a love-hate relationship with this damn sand. It can entertain my daughter for SO LONG, but it is also SO MESSY! I found it in the $3 section of Target and bought it more for my husband and I to play with because, hello, who doesn’t love kinetic sand? But naturally, my daughter spotted it and has played with it ever day since. She just makes a HUGE mess with it!
- Dress Up Clothes – Maybe this is more of a girl-mom suggestion, but playing dress-up is a favorite of Isabelle’s. Last Halloween I picked up a few used princess outfits from a local mom and she absolutely LOVES getting all dressed up. Dress, heels, jewelry, crown, the works!
- Leak-Free Sippy Cups – I hate sippy cups. Hate. Hate. Hate. I don’t know why we still keep the ones that leak, but we do. We found this brand to be the best, so far! My husband randomly picked them up at the grocery store and I plan on buying a ton more.
- Little People Toys – Around my daughter’s second birthday I asked on a mom’s Facebook group if anyone has suggestions on what to get for her. I didn’t really want to buy more toys, but I got an overwhelming amount of suggestions to buy her a Little People toy set. Well, she turned 2 in January and she’s not sick of these toys yet! 🙂 *mom win!* Frankie loves to chew on them too, so that’s a plus!
- Alphabet Puzzle – If you are trying to teach your kid the alphabet, do yourself a favor and just go buy this right NOW! I swear it has helped so much – not only with learning the alphabet, but her colors and fine motor skills as well. I’m so, so happy I bought this!
Well, there you have it! My current favorites for my little guy & gal. Really it should be “my kids favorites” because it’s what makes them happy! What are you favorites for the kids?